Giraux Policy on “Conflict Diamond” Issue
In light of recent media coverage regarding the illicit trade of conflict diamonds by some rebel groups in parts of Africa, we wanted to take a moment to let our clients know the steps our company, and the diamond industry in general is taking to address this important issue.
What are conflict diamonds?
Diamonds which are illegally traded to fund conflict. The term was coined in the late 1990’s when rebel groups in some African countries used diamonds to fund movements against legitimate governments. When the problem was at its height, conflict diamonds accounted for only 4% of the worlds diamond supply. Today, thanks to international pressure and industry compliance, they account for less than 1%.
Any diamond that is purchased by Giraux Fine Jewelry must comply with the internationally recognized Kimberley Process (KP).
(Adopted in November of 2002, rough diamonds traded between KP countries are transported in a tamper-resistant container and accompanied by a government-validated KP certificate.)
In addition, Giraux Fine Jewelry requires from its vendors all diamonds imported overseas must be accompanied with a statement of System of Warranties (SoW) assurance.
(SoW is a written statement accompanying all invoices guaranteeing that the diamonds or diamond jewelry being sold are from legitimate sources.)
Giraux Fine Jewelry understands that diamonds and precious gems are items of value and on some levels considered a commodity. Therefore as with many commodities in the world, there are those that will use its value and influence to advance unjust causes.
To this end, we feel very proud that the world jewelry industry, United Nations, governments, and non-government organizations displayed foresight and fortitude to address this issue with the priority it deserved.
Today the diamond and jewelry industry as a whole provides opportunity and a source of living to millions of peoples in the world. It also provides revenue that is critical to the economic development and prosperity of diamond producing nations, especially those in Africa. Earnings from the diamond trade are helping to build schools, hospitals, support treatment for HIV/ AIDS and staff health clinics.
Giraux Fine Jewelry appreciates your concern regarding this important issue, and wants to assure you that we have taken and will always take the necessary steps in supporting the industry fight to correct this issue. Our goal is to one day have a “conflict fee” diamond industry.
30 day return policy
Please note the following company policies only refer to purchases made online at Giraux.com.
In order to facilitate a comfortable shopping experience online, we offer a 30 day return policy on all merchandise purchased through our web site.
In order for this policy to be valid, you must agree to the following terms and conditions.
- Merchandise must be returned within the 30 day trial period. Trial period begins the day you actually receive your product(s).
- Merchandise must be returned in the condition it was received.
- No visible “wear and tear”.
- Item was not sized or altered by another jeweler (other than Giraux).
- Original security tags must be in place.
- Original diamond laboratory report must accompany the original diamond.
- Item(s) must be shipped according to our Return Shipment Procedure.
Once our quality control specialists confirm that the item(s) received are the same item(s) that were originally sold, your refund will be issued within a week.
* Giraux Fine Jewelry does not refund any shipping costs that were incurred during the return shipment.
Return Shipment Procedure
To return a diamond or jewelry item to Giraux, please follow these 3 steps:
- Call us to receive a Return Authorization Number. Write this number somewhere on the return label. Only write the actual number not other notations that may alert the carrier the package has a high value item enclosed. (Other than the insurance value, the carrier does not need to know you have jewelry valuables enclosed in your package, unless it is their company policy to know what is enclosed in the package. In this case be as vague as possible)
- Package your return completely. Make sure to include all materials that were included in your original shipment. It is important to include any laboratory reports that were sent to you. A $250 replacement fee per diamond will apply to any shipments that do not include the original laboratory report (i.e. GIA certificate).
- Insure your package. If your original invoice is listed as:
- Less than $500: You can ship it via most major carriers (UPS, FedEx). Be sure to ship your item(s) fully insured, and request a return receipt for confirmation that your package has reached its destination.
- More than $500: Ship your package via US Postal Service Registered Mail™. Be sure to insure your products for the full purchase price. Request a return receipt for confirmation of delivery.
- If you have an account with a carrier that enables you to return our products fully insured, you may use this shipment method. However, please follow our Return Shipment Procedure as described above.
- When packaging or shipping valuables to us, please make sure you are not alerting the carrier of the contents of your package.
- Nowhere on the package should state the words jewelry, or gems, or words of this nature.
- DO NOT use our company name on this package, instead use the name of our company representative that gave you the return authorization code. This individual will identify themselves and remind you of this procedure. If you do not remember their name, or if they do not remind you of this procedure, please use the alias GXJ Graphics. This additional security procedure is put in place as not to alert the carrier that the item(s) they are handling are valuable in nature.
- Giraux Fine Jewelry will not be responsible for loss or damage of return shipments.
Diamond Upgrade Policy
Giraux Fine Jewelry invests in only the finest diamonds available. Our buyers are expert gemologists that are trained to select the most beautiful diamond in the world, regardless of their specific quality. To gain an understanding of this important process, click here.
Due of our company commitment to excellent “diamond investing”, unlike most other “popular” internet companies, we are able to offer our clients an exclusive diamond upgrade policy.
Any diamond that is purchased directly from our web site that has a laboratory report (GIA, EGL, AGS) may be upgraded for the original purchase price (excludes sales tax, shipping, or repair costs) as long the following terms and conditions are met. *
Terms and conditions
- “Trade-in” Diamond must be free from chips or major abrasions that are not noted on the original laboratory report.
- Trade in diamond must match its original laboratory report 100% to be confirmed by our in house gemologists.
- New purchase must be equal to or greater than 25% of the trade in value (excludes applicable sales tax).
- Trade in diamond must NOT be noted as a special order on the original purchase invoice. What’s this?
- Client is responsible in supplying the original invoice or documentation that will allow Giraux Fine Jewelry access to this information from our records.
- Original laboratory report must accompany this transaction. If the original laboratory report does not accompany this transaction, a $250 dollar deduction may be assessed on the trade in diamond. In some cases, the trade-in may be denied.
- Upgrade value cannot be segmented or split to be used at a later date. Transaction will only be allowed the same business day for item(s) equal to or greater than 25% of the trade in purchase price (excludes applicable sales tax).
- You may trade in and upgrade one diamond for multiple diamond or jewelry items as long as the transaction follows terms and conditions #’s 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7.
* Due to the nature and risks of fraud associated with running an internet business, Giraux Fine Jewelry reserves the right to cancel this Diamond Upgrade Policy at any time without prior written notice.
It is important to note that our upgrade policy has been in place for over 30 years in our physical San Francisco showroom and been utilized by thousands of happy customers over the years.
Example of the Upgrade Policy
Client, John M. from California purchased a diamond from Giraux for $1000 (plus 8.5% California sales tax) in 2002. In 2007 John wants to buy his wife a larger diamond. He finds one at Giraux.com for $2000 (plus tax). He decides to trade in his first diamond towards the new purchase. If all the terms and conditions of the upgrade policy are met, John would pay out of pocket $1,170.00 to buy the $2,000.00 diamond.
Here is what happened:
$1,085 : is his original purchase price (including sales tax)
$1,000 : is the trade in value (excludes sales tax, California Sate Board of Equalization does not allow a vendor to return sales tax on a used item being traded-in)
$2170.00 is the price of the new item including 8.5% sales tax.
$2170 - $1000 = $1170 (difference owed for the purchase)
When John decides to upgrade the new diamond in a few years, he will have $2000 credit available toward the new purchase.
Product Representation and Pricing
Although we strive for complete accuracy in our representation of merchandise, occasionally merchandise pricing or product information may not be accurate. We will immediately correct any and all errors brought to our attention, however we do not honor, nor do we obligate our customers to honor erroneous pricing.
In accordance with industry standards and FTC regulations, Giraux Fine Jewelry states that all total carat weight in our jewelry products may vary by 0.04ct. This excludes any loose, independent laboratory certified diamonds.
Each loose diamond will be shipped to you with its accompanying certificate from the Gemological Institute of America or the American Gemological Society. This certificate serves as positive identification and blueprint of the diamond. A replacement fee of $250 will be charged if the certificate is not included with a diamond return, or if you have lost or misplaced your original certificate.
Free Maintenance Policy
Giraux Fine Jewelry will be happy to check and clean your jewelry for as long as you own it.
- Check: we will do our best to check and make sure all gem stones are securely held in place. We will notify you if there is any repair work that would be recommended.
- Clean: Once our gemologist examines your jewelry and notes that all gems are secure, we will professionally clean your jewelry.
To return a diamond or jewelry item to Giraux, follow our three step process:
- Packaging. Please securely package your jewelry as to protect it during shipment. It is highly recommended that you use padded material such as bubble wrap or its equivalent. Make sure your shipment is securely sealed before shipment.*
- Label. For security purposes, please do not label jewelry anywhere where on your package.
- Insure Your Package. On your invoice, if the price of the item you're returning is listed as:
- Less than $500: You can ship it via any carrier. Be sure to ship your item fully insured, and request a return receipt for confirmation that your shipment has reached its destination.*
- More than $500: Ship your package via US Postal Service Registered Mail™, insured for the total value of the contents, and request a return receipt for confirmation that your shipment has reached Giraux.* (FedEx® and UPS® will not insure merchandise over $500.)
You must follow these instructions exactly; we will not accept your package if any of the previously mentioned criteria’s are not met. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Giraux will not be responsible for loss or damage of return shipments.
- Visa or MasterCard.
- Bank Wire Transfer - please e-mail us at service@Giraux.com for wire transfer instructions. You may be able to receive up to a 2% discount on your order.
- Giraux Fine Jewelry Gift Card - For your protection, the maximum value on each gift certificate is $500. Please note that lost or stolen gift certificates cannot be replaced. To check the balance on your gift card, please e-mail us at service@Giraux.com with the number on the reverse of your gift card. Please note that the Giraux Gift Card is not redeemable for cash nor can be returned for a cash refund.
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone if we feel that any transaction is suspect and unauthorized.
All orders shipped out of the State of California will be in accordance with Federal and State laws in regards to no sales tax.
In order to offer wholesale prices, our business is based on volume. You may save up to 2% on your purchase via cash payment or bank wire transfer. Please contact us at service@Giraux.com for wire transfer details.
Jewelry Service and Maintenance
We feel that a sales transaction is not the end of a relationship with our customer, but rather the beginning of one. For this reason, we encourage you to stop by our showrooms and have your jewelry regularly checked and cleaned. In addition, you may ship your jewelry to us and we would be happy to do the necessary inspections. Please read our Seven Tips to Keep Your Jewelry in Top Shape.
In order to keep our prices low for everyone, we do not reimburse for return shipping charges, unauthorized repairs, appraisals, or any other expenses incurred after the initial sales transaction.
Your purchase is insured while in transit to its destination. All packages are sent out via common carrier and are signature required. Thus, if you will not be available to sign for the package, our insurance stipulates that the package will not be left at the door. If you feel that the package you are receiving shows signs of tampering, please refuse delivery. Once you've signed for a package, the insurance coverage ceases and you must purchase separate insurance for the jewelry.
Included in the shipping materials will be a brochure for Personal Jewelry Insurance by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company. We are not affiliated with that company and provide this brochure for your convenience.
Most insurance companies do not
require an appraisal if a piece of jewelry is purchased under $2500. For higher-value jewelry, we will include an appraisal with both the retail and wholesale replacement value of your purchase. We do not appraise outside merchandise. Please note that an appraisal is prepared and signed by a GIA trained Graduate Gemologist and a fee of $25 will be charged for appraisal requests for items under $2500.